Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Pigment

I feel so energized after today's meeting with Christy Baker of Pigment.  She's a color consultant, who for a very modest fee will help you pick out the right paint colors for rooms in your home.  And, as I learned today, the woman is a color genius.  She knows everything from how a room with a north facing window will make dark colors look darker to how the orange tints in your hardwood floors will make a teal look more blue.

To truly appreciate her genius, you should know the back story of my paint meltdown.  Last week I tried to pick out my own colors for the bedrooms.  My method was trial through obsession.  I literally stayed up every night until 1 a.m. last week fiddling around on the Sherwin Williams website.  I do not recommend this.  What little sleep you get will be riddled with nightmares of computerized paint chips attacking you.  After many sleepless nights, I forced my husband to drive with me to the Sherwin Williams store on a Saturday and bought samples of the following colors.

For Master bedroom, Sherwin Williams Seaworthy.

For Lucy's room, Sherwin Williams Dahlia.

For spare bedroom, Sherwin Williams Blue Sky.





For hallways and office, Sherwin Williams Techno Gray.


After getting the samples home, I immediately regretted my "get it done" buy, because none of them looked right.  It was purely through the grace of God that I happened to mention it to Christy at church on Sunday (btw, Christy and I go to church together), and she reminded me of her new color consulting business.  I believe I sent her an e-mail that night that showed my panic and need for her immediate help.  (I really need to calm down, it's just paint).

So today Christy swung by with her suitcases of paint chips and set me straight - in an extremely professional and kind way.  With her comprehensive knowledge of hues and ability to listen to what I wanted, she was able to take my ideas and make them into a more cohesive color pallet and one that I'm really excited to share.

For master bedroom, Benjamin Moore Stratton Blue.


For Lucy's room, a combination of 3 colors to tone down the purple.  (Lucy wanted purple, and for those of you who knows Lucy, she gets what she wants).  The grey will go on 3 of the walls, the darker purple on the ceiling, and the lighter purple on the main wall.  Benjamin Moore's African Violet, Benjamin Moore's Hazy Lilac and Benjamin Moore's Classic Gray.



We're going to paint all of the trim white.  The Classic Gray will also go on the walls in the hall and in the office, to keep them neutral, and we're still trying to come up with color ideas for the "spare" bedroom.  I gave Christy this as my inspiration for the room, and we've created a pinterest board to brainstorm more ideas.  I can't wait to get going!

No comments:

Post a Comment